Saturday, 23 March 2013

Knitting Digest - part 3

Women's Rights

What I love about this issue of Knitting Digest, is how it caters for women - mind, body, soul and talent! 
On pages 42, 43 and 47 is the this fantastic article:

Know Your Rights, The Equal Pay Act, The Sex Discrimination Act and You!



We are immediately informed that as women we have equal status with men due to the Equal Pay Act 1970 and the Sex Discrimination Act. Shame that in 2013 we still have some way to go before this is a reality.

On International Women's Day The Guardian published an article that began with this opening line,

"Women in the UK have lower job security and greater pay inequality than those in other developed countries, research shows." 

You can read the full article here.

In addition I heard yesterday that one of Gove's new proposals for education reform, is that when women go off on maternity leave it will count as a break in service. How progressive Mr Gove! It reminds me of the Thatcher/Major days in the 1980s/90s when I got pregnant with my first child. I was a victim of an extremely unfair piece of legislation, because I had worked at my company in the City for two weeks less than two years, I was unable to return to work after having the baby. In those days I used to change my job every couple of years for career progression purposes, as did the young men I worked with. That law prevented women from being ambitious.



I was also interested to read the line,

"Were you ever denied entrance to woodworking class while you were at school and told to take home economics instead."

This was published in September 1976, and yet in September 1979 myself and two friends were refused a request to move from sewing/cooking to woodwork/technical drawing. I remember my teacher saying you'll never be able to make your own curtains. I replied with something along the lines of, "I can already make curtains my mum has taught me." Which was true and I have made many curtains. In the end myself and my two friends deliberately sabotaged our work every lesson until we were allowed to move to the boys group - it took half a term for our protest to work. I see now that had I thrown the legislation at them it would have been sooner.

After that myself and some other friends set about trying to get women's football recognised in school but sadly it remained confined to a lunchtime kick about.



Of course I acknowledge we have made progress with women's rights but we are not there yet sisters!

1 comment:

  1. Yo! Sisterhood! This is fascinating isn't it, thanks for sharing. I have been reading recent news reports about women in Russia and Tunisia using their boobage as a political tool for womens rights and writing feminist slogans on them ... then these women are living lives under threat due to their actions. Crazy...I think we are far from equal but we have come a long way since the days of throwing yourself in front of the King's horse! XXX

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate it if you can take time to comment - I love to read other people's thoughts and ideas.
Take care x

Crochet Notes - Milky Buttons Bag

Cream Cotton DK Black DK 3.75mm hook Black retail bag. I used the Pinwheel Circle for the front and back - making 18 of them (ad...