Sunday, 6 September 2015

Knitting Knotes - Bollywood Top

I have always admired Sue Bradley's Travellers' Yarns pattern book from the 1980s and in particular the pink dolman sleeve top in the India section.



Here I am ready to go.........

Yarn:
Cascade Ultra Pima 3 x blue and 1 x grey
Hayfield Fiesta 2 x white

Needles:
3.25mm for ribbing (circular needle for neck)
4mm for main body

Other:
Beads for embellishment
Button

Finished Measurements:
Length = 62cm
Chest = 120cm
Length to arm = 33cm



I made quite a few changes to the pattern - some for sizing and some because I ran out of yarn.

I reduced the batwingness!

On the pattern in the book you can see the centre panel is a fairisle band, however I realised I would need it bigger. I added another blue panel and another fairisle panel, so that the centre panel became a blue panel.






However that then meant that I ran out of yarn about 8 rows from the end.


















Luckily by that point I had realised the sleeves would be too long for me anyway and so I was happy to reduce the sleeve length by removing a fairisle band and a blue section.








Back

Sideways knit.
Cast on 62st 1x1 rib for 4 cm
Start at row 41 and follow the chart but don't do the dolman increases.
On row 63 increase for main body.
Follow chart.
After row 135 repeat from row 95 again to add in the extra panels.
Follow chart to match - at row 215 change to 3.25mm and white for rib.

Front

Same as back apart from neck shaping in middle front - not forgetting the extra panel as above.

Row 121 - decrease at neck edge on the next 23 rows = row 144.
Knit 4 rows = row 148
Cast off 10sts at neck edge on row 149
Knit row 150
Cast on 10sts at neck edge on row 151.
Knit 4 rows = row 155
Increase 1st at neck edge on next 23 rows.

Complete front as per back.

Waist Rib

Circular needle - 218 sts 1x1 10cm - cast off
(Picked up in blue and then changed to white.)

Neck 

Pick up 52 along middle back and 32 down each side = 116sts - leave a gap in the centre front.
1 x 1 rib for 2.5 cm

Gap = pick up 10 down each side and 1 in the middle = 21 sts
1 x 1 rib for 2 rows - cast off.

Sew button on - mine doesn't open but you could make a loop if you wished.
Sew on embellishments.
Block




7 comments:

  1. I think it's always interesting to see how people adapt and adjust patterns to suit. It makes the finished article personal and unique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It helps to note it all down on here too x

      Delete

  2. Olá amiga, vim desejar-lhe um abençoado início de mês, e lindos dias
    de outono que se aproxima!

    Doce abraço Marie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love how you adapted the pattern to suit you, I'm no where near that skill level yet! That blue is a glorious shade xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi - I keep notes on this blog and look back at what went well. It's very easy really:) Thanks for stopping by x

      Delete
  4. Wow, it looks fab! I love how you adapted it so cleverly to fit (however did that mean you were deprived of a yarn-purchase ??! Clever you, it looks very complicated :)
    Jillxo

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate it if you can take time to comment - I love to read other people's thoughts and ideas.
Take care x

Knitting Knotes - Vienna Christmas Market Hat

I'm off to Vienna Christmas Market next week with a group of lovely ladies. My cousin, who is one of the ladies, jokingly asked me to m...